Confessions of an (UN)Intentional Barfly!

Monday, January 29, 2007

Munh ki baat suneh har koi - Who understands the heartache?

I still remember that slow serial "Neem Ka Ped" on DD National. Though I loved the serial for its sensitivity in portrayal of the life of a bonded labour (Pankaj Kapoor) but the reason I remember it always is its title song "Munh ki Baat" by Jagjeet Singh. I could listen to it the whole day without changing tracks.

It went something like
"Munh ki baat suneh har koi
Dil ke dard ko jaane kaun?
Aawaazon ke baazaaron ki
Khaamoshi pehchaane kaun?"
(Everybody can hear whats spoken
but who can understand the heartache?
Is there someone who can understand the silence of noisy markets?)
P.S. - Forgive me for the poor and semi-literal translation.

I have been listening to this song for over a decade now and its still my favourite. (And I am listening to it as I write.)

Life, journey, aspiration, reflection, everything that makes you and most importantly looking inwards to find yourself. The song is so philosophical and relevant, that it never stops amazing me.

The part that draws me most to this song and that which I feel I relate to would be:
"Woh mera aaeena hai ya
Main uski parchhaee hoon!
Mere hi ghar mein rehta hai
Mujh jaisa hi jaane kaun?"

A word for word translation alone would not do justice to this peice , so let me give you my interpretation as well.
Is he my mirror or am I his shadow.
The "he" here is in essence you and your reflections about yourself.
And I find that the person staying in my own house resembles me but is not the real me.
This goes on to build from the line above and explores/suggests how what you are on the outside is different from what you really are!

Its a must listen for everyone of you who like gazals and philosophy. Let me know if you need a copy!

1 Comments:

Blogger Pavan Pochu said...

Nice post. I remember this song. Cool one. I see all the serials/movies of Pankaj Kapoor. He is a damn good actor.

Mon Mar 05, 04:30:00 PM GMT+5:30

 

Post a Comment

<< Home